Tuesday 6 November 2012

Pumpkin Pie

I have found a recipe for pumpkin pie that doesn't entails hours of pureeing. I have made a pie! I have no idea why I am so excited about it other than I can actually smell it. The virus two years ago stole my sense of smell and left me with a kind of random smellometer that would give me strange perfumes and scents at really strange times, the worst being the smell of smoke at 2am. Mr M didn't like that one either as it was his job to go and look. I would smell furniture polish in the cheese shop and cheese in the flower shop until this summer when I had a virus again. It sent me out of my tree for a day or two and poor Mr M didn't sleep for nearly 36 hours because I was talking. I wondered why I lost my voice and then he told me. Anyway when I came back to earth I could smell things. Real things. When they were there. So cooking chutney and jam has been a delight this weekend and making the pumpkin pie today was wonderful. My favourite son-in-law came in to find me standing in the kitchen breathing in deeply through my nose.
"Are you alright?" he asked looking as though he would be ringing my daughter at the first opportunity.
"I'm fine," I said, taking another deep breath. "I am just smelling the pumpkin pie."
"Oh, OK," he said, then paused for a second to compute all the information. He then remembered where he was and who he was with and his face cleared and resumed its usual happy expression. It was Mother-in-law! so perfectly normal.
Tomorrow I make lemon meringue pie from scratch - a mix up about lemons for the pumpkin jam has resulted in an excess of lemons. I can't wait to smell that!

2 comments:

Barbara Eads said...

I didn't realize you could lose your sense of smell. I know that sometimes smokers can't smell clearly. Obviously, if you can't smell, that would alter how you taste. Your pie looks yummy!

humel said...

That's wonderful news :)